Surveys show that mental health is one of the top factors when deciding where to work. In fact, mental health benefits have become a condition of employment as individuals want to know that their workplace is safe and responsive to their emotional needs.
Last week, we had the pleasure of hosting Perspectives for our Meet A Vendor webinar series. The founder and CEO of Perspectives, Bernie Dyme, talked about the critical importance of openly dealing with mental health in the workplace and the role “top-tier” Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs) should play in destigmatizing mental illness and providing more direct counseling and advocacy with clients. Especially now that the demand for behavioral health services is on the rise and the supply of providers has not grown to meet the needs.
Why is mental health important?
- 1 in 5 US adults live with mental illness.
- Depression is the leading cause of disability worldwide.
- 56% of adults with mental illness do not receive treatment. (Mental Health America)
- There are 132 suicides per day in America (10th leading cause of death) — ½ of these people have never been in mental health treatment.
- The average time from symptom onset to treatment is 11 years.
- COVID-19 has left its mark.
- Social unrest is on the rise causing greater overall fear and concern.
- Employees are leaving, and new ones aren’t coming in.
- Employees are experiencing greater stress and mental health issues.
- Employers are growing increasingly more concerned.
- Demand for mental health services is up, and professional resources have stagnated.
Perspectives launched over 40 years ago, with a focus on empowering people to achieve success through improved well-being. What began as a counseling and psychotherapy practice has become a powerful resource for helping organizations and individuals address the myriad factors affecting mental health and success, including work, finances, family, and beyond.
With a compassion-built and outcome-focused approach, Perspectives provides a robust employee assistance program, counseling and psychotherapy services, and dynamic workforce strategy and organizational development consulting. They help individuals, teams, and organizations thrive by supporting their mental and emotional health.
At Perspectives, the people come first. Their dynamic EAP provides the care and resources employees need to address work and life stressors. With their EAP support, organizations see higher retention, better performance, and improved focus and presence on the job.
6 Benefits of Perspectives Top-Tier EAP:
- Demonstrate leadership concern about employees’ emotional well-being.
- Treat mental health and well-being the same as physical health and wellness.
- Eliminate barriers to accessing care via multiple modalities.
- Provide early intervention for mental health issues, decreasing absenteeism and presenteeism.
- Focus on warning signs and practical strategies for talking with employees about mental health, substance abuse, and suicide prevention.
- Provide tools/resources for helping employees and family members in distress.
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO MAKE MENTAL HEALTH AND WELLNESS A PRIORITY?
CREATE A MENTAL HEALTH & WELLNESS STRATEGY
According to Perspectives, there are 5 key things you should do to address mental health in the workplace:
- Ensure a culture of care and safety.
- Create and execute a mental health plan.
- Ensure you have a Top-Tier EAP as the hub of all mental health and wellness.
- Communicate regularly and consistently.
- Train managers and leaders on how to deal with employees’ mental health.
Perspectives, a top-tier EAP, provides a comprehensive solution for organizations. Contact them if you are interested in helping organizations create psychologically safe workplaces—where employees can thrive and feel valued.
In case you missed it: Log in to access the full Meet A Vendor Presentation!
Not a subscriber? Request access.